Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Chinook Wind


Hi There! 


This week I chose to read the Pacific North West Unit. I took notes over "Why There Are No Snakes On Takhoma," "Chinook Wind," and "How Silver Fox Created the World"  because I thought they would be the stories that I could adapt well. Of those I have included here my notes over "Chinook Wind" that I took while reading. 

  • Chinook Brothers (5):
    • Warm Wind
    • Lived on Great River
  • Walla Walla Brothers (5):
    • Cold Winds
    • Walla Walla = “the meeting of the waters”        
  • Grandparents live at Umatilla “the place of the wind-drifted sands”
  • The brothers fighting caused hardship for the people.
    • “blew down trees and raised great clouds of dust”
  • Walla Walla Brothers suggested they wrestle and whoever loses gets their head chopped off
  • Coyote was the judge of the contest
  • Coyote told the Chinook Grandparents to put oil on the ground
  • Coyote told the Walla Walla grandparents to put ice on the ground
  • The ground was slippery
  • Walla Walla Grandparents got the ice down after the oil
  • Chinook Brothers lost – lost their heads
  • Oldest Chinook has a son “Young Chinook”
  • Son was raised to avenge their deaths
  • Young Chinook went to see his grandparents
  • Chinook Grandparents were cold and hungry
  • Walla Walla Brothers
    • Caused North east (cold) wind to always blow
    • Stole Chinook Grandparent’s Fish
  • Young Chinook takes grandfather fishing
    • kept the Walla Walla brothers from steeling the fish
  • Walla Walla Brothers Challenged Young Chinook to wrestle (same deal)
  • This time Coyote gave the same advice, but told the Chinook Grandparents to throw the oil last
  • The walla walla brothers lost, four fell down one yielded
  • The four were killed, the one was spared
  • Coyote told the last Walla Walla that he could only blow lightly and never freeze people  again
  • Coyote told Young Chinook that he would blow the hardest at night, and blow first on the mountain ridges to “warn the people”

“Thus, now winter is only a little cold” 

From this story, I could write a story about two families that are partners in a company. The grandparents are old and have retired. The grandsons are preparing to take charge in the company but there is a dispute over who should be the highest in charge. They agree to decide the rank by a competition of some sort that is judged by some person... maybe the family lawyer? 

Another way to approach the story would be from the Coyote's position. I would like to explore his motivations for telling the grandparents how to rig the competition without choosing a side the first time, but then told them how to rig it and chose a side the second time. Maybe at first he thought the competition was ridiculous and it wouldn't matter who won, but after he saw how bad the cold winds were he changed his mind and wanted the warm winds to win. 

Either would make a good story and are possibilities for the story this week. The photo I included at the top is of a coyote in Yosemite National Park, California. This is what I imagine the judging coyote would have looked like. I think I will use it in my story if I choose this story to base my own story on.


Bibliography

Photo Credit: By Christopher Bruno via Wikimedia Commons

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Hello!  My name is Cat and although this will be a blog about mythology and folklore, today I want to tell you all a little bit about myself and my summer. So, to start off I am a civil engineering student here at the University of Oklahoma. I will be graduating in December, but I will be staying on for another year to complete my master’s degree, also in civil engineering but with a focus on structural engineering. Civil engineering includes the design of buildings, infrastructure, water supply systems, waste water treatment systems, and traffic control systems to name a few.  Over this summer I had the opportunity to work as an intern for a civil engineering company and learned a lot from the experience. I learned to design pump stations, outline drainage areas, how to do the runoff calculations for inlets, culverts and drainage ditches, and a bunch of stuff about low impact development, but most importantly I learned that I don’t like doing any of those things....

Reading Notes: Japanese Mythology, Part B

Hi there!  Previously I had read the first half of the Japanese Mythology Unit. I liked the stories and was interested to see how Yamato’s adventures turned out. So, for this reading I decided to finish up the unit.   This time though, I was not as fond of Yamato’s stories as I was of the other stories in the unit. Yamato treated his poor wife Tacibana so badly. It really made me sad even though it made for a good story. I wish that at least in the end Tacibana would have just abandoned Yamato, but instead she sacrificed herself for him. Like I have said in many other posts, I feel like women are just really getting the short end of the stick in so many of these stories. The few instances were women don’t get taken advantage of it seems like they are generally portrayed as mean, evil, or nasty in some way. What a horrible dichotomy. Evil or victim. Of the other stories I read for this unit I enjoyed “The Jewel of Heart’s Desire” the most. Although it played into th...

Week 13 Review: Home Stretch

Hi there! I don't know about anyone else in this class but I am busting my butt to finish these assignments up so I can get an A in the class. Staying in the holiday spirit, I am so thankful for the extra week (Week 15). Because of it, I don't have to cram a bunch of extra credit assignments into next week, but instead can work on mostly standard assignments. I also caught a previous assignment that I did, but didn't do the declaration for so that was a nice treat to start this week off with. I took the time to read through the announcements for the last seven days, and that has thankfully helped me understand how class is working over the next couple weeks and what finishing up looks like for me. As I was looking through said announcements, I was completely distracted by the blurb about St. Catherine. My full name is Catherine and I come from a Catholic family, but I had never heard of her in detail. So I spent quite a while reading about her on Wikipedia and found out t...