Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Egyptian Myth and Legend, Part A

The above photo is of Ra the Sun God of Egypt as depicted on the Tomb of Nefertari, Queen of Ramses II, c. 1298-1235 BC, Egypt.

As you may have guessed, for today's reading I chose to do the Egyptian Myths and Stories unit because I saw it after doing the reading for last week and was bummed that I had passed it up. Luckily for me, this week is still focused on the Middle Eastern and Indian Units. 

I really enjoyed all of the stories in this first part of the reading, as I do many stories about ancient deities and religions. I think I enjoyed these stories particularly though, because they were so unfamiliar to me. Although I knew of Ra the sun god, I had never heard the stories surrounding him and the other Egyptian gods. I think the most I ever knew about Ra and the others was a kids TV show about King Tut on Discovery Kids. 

Of the stories I really liked "The Secret Name of Ra" and "The Wax Crocodile." I enjoyed the first one mostly for the cunning female character Isis. It was a nice change from the Greek and Roman stories that I have read that have more helpless or unfortunate female characters. I would love to incorporate a character like Isis into a story for this week. As for the second story, although I was really not happy with the burning-alive ending, I thought that the wax crocodile magically turning into a real crocodile was a pretty cool trick. I think that the better story would be that the scribe turned a wax crocodile into a real one and it attacked a woman's husband because he wanted the woman to himself and then at the end when he was found out the wax crocodile gets burned. Since I already have the plot in mind, maybe I could create a story with that plot and make the wife a strong female character like Isis. Yep. I think that is the plan, unless I find a better story tomorrow. 

Bibliography
"Egyptian Myth and Legend" by Donald Mackenzie, 1907

Photo Credits
"Ra Horakhty, Tomb of Nefertari" by Lucas via Flickr

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Hello!  My name is Cat and although this will be a blog about mythology and folklore, today I want to tell you all a little bit about myself and my summer. So, to start off I am a civil engineering student here at the University of Oklahoma. I will be graduating in December, but I will be staying on for another year to complete my master’s degree, also in civil engineering but with a focus on structural engineering. Civil engineering includes the design of buildings, infrastructure, water supply systems, waste water treatment systems, and traffic control systems to name a few.  Over this summer I had the opportunity to work as an intern for a civil engineering company and learned a lot from the experience. I learned to design pump stations, outline drainage areas, how to do the runoff calculations for inlets, culverts and drainage ditches, and a bunch of stuff about low impact development, but most importantly I learned that I don’t like doing any of those things....

Reading Notes: Japanese Mythology, Part B

Hi there!  Previously I had read the first half of the Japanese Mythology Unit. I liked the stories and was interested to see how Yamato’s adventures turned out. So, for this reading I decided to finish up the unit.   This time though, I was not as fond of Yamato’s stories as I was of the other stories in the unit. Yamato treated his poor wife Tacibana so badly. It really made me sad even though it made for a good story. I wish that at least in the end Tacibana would have just abandoned Yamato, but instead she sacrificed herself for him. Like I have said in many other posts, I feel like women are just really getting the short end of the stick in so many of these stories. The few instances were women don’t get taken advantage of it seems like they are generally portrayed as mean, evil, or nasty in some way. What a horrible dichotomy. Evil or victim. Of the other stories I read for this unit I enjoyed “The Jewel of Heart’s Desire” the most. Although it played into th...

Week 13 Review: Home Stretch

Hi there! I don't know about anyone else in this class but I am busting my butt to finish these assignments up so I can get an A in the class. Staying in the holiday spirit, I am so thankful for the extra week (Week 15). Because of it, I don't have to cram a bunch of extra credit assignments into next week, but instead can work on mostly standard assignments. I also caught a previous assignment that I did, but didn't do the declaration for so that was a nice treat to start this week off with. I took the time to read through the announcements for the last seven days, and that has thankfully helped me understand how class is working over the next couple weeks and what finishing up looks like for me. As I was looking through said announcements, I was completely distracted by the blurb about St. Catherine. My full name is Catherine and I come from a Catholic family, but I had never heard of her in detail. So I spent quite a while reading about her on Wikipedia and found out t...