Skip to main content

Time Strategies

Hi again!

Here we are. It is Sunday night and just like the professor said not to, I am sitting and doing all of the Friday Assignments in one sitting. How appropriate then that this assignment is about time management. This is irony at its finest here folks. Seriously though, who is good at time management? I would like to think no one, but I have met at least a few people that do it better than me. How they do it is a mystery to me, but that is what this post is going to be about: How to have some better time management so that this semester doesn't eat me alive.

Do I sound panicked? I hope not.

Anyway, my schedule is supposed to be

Saturday: 2 hours. Reading A, Reading B
Tuesday: 2 hours. Story, Blog Comments
Friday: 2 hours. Project, Project Feedback

Which turned out to be a great plan, in theory. Although I do generally spend time on Saturdays doing homework, in the past it has been reserved for group meetings where I work on specific homework with my classmates. By the time that is done, it maybe a long shot to assume I will sit down and do another 2 hours of work, as my schedule would suggest. Sunday is looking like a much more likely scenario there. Tuesday seems like a pretty good option, because I have an afternoon gap, but Friday might be difficult to motivate myself into. For now I think I will move my Saturday work to Sunday and see how that goes for next week.

Really if I could just get more motivation I would do a lot better, but wouldn't everyone? For now, I guess I will just have to manage the motivation that I have a little better. Which finally brings me around to the time management tips.


After looking over the time management articles, "How to Beat Procrastination" and "The Psychology of Checklists" I realized that I already know/do some of the things that the articles talk about. I know that short term benefits are more motivating than long terms ones and I know that checking things off of a list makes me feel good. Unsurprisingly though, I am still not an expert. 

What I did learn is that breaking my large goals on my checklist into just as meaningful small goals can help me spread that bit of motivation a little further and that overcoming my procrastination can be aided just asking myself why it is I am having a hard time starting. I think if I can focus on these two things in respect to this class as well as the semester in general, I may have more success in managing my time. 

Photo via Pexels by "it's me neosiam" (Black Ring Bell Alarm Clock)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Hello!  My name is Cat and although this will be a blog about mythology and folklore, today I want to tell you all a little bit about myself and my summer. So, to start off I am a civil engineering student here at the University of Oklahoma. I will be graduating in December, but I will be staying on for another year to complete my master’s degree, also in civil engineering but with a focus on structural engineering. Civil engineering includes the design of buildings, infrastructure, water supply systems, waste water treatment systems, and traffic control systems to name a few.  Over this summer I had the opportunity to work as an intern for a civil engineering company and learned a lot from the experience. I learned to design pump stations, outline drainage areas, how to do the runoff calculations for inlets, culverts and drainage ditches, and a bunch of stuff about low impact development, but most importantly I learned that I don’t like doing any of those things....

Reading Notes: Japanese Mythology, Part B

Hi there!  Previously I had read the first half of the Japanese Mythology Unit. I liked the stories and was interested to see how Yamato’s adventures turned out. So, for this reading I decided to finish up the unit.   This time though, I was not as fond of Yamato’s stories as I was of the other stories in the unit. Yamato treated his poor wife Tacibana so badly. It really made me sad even though it made for a good story. I wish that at least in the end Tacibana would have just abandoned Yamato, but instead she sacrificed herself for him. Like I have said in many other posts, I feel like women are just really getting the short end of the stick in so many of these stories. The few instances were women don’t get taken advantage of it seems like they are generally portrayed as mean, evil, or nasty in some way. What a horrible dichotomy. Evil or victim. Of the other stories I read for this unit I enjoyed “The Jewel of Heart’s Desire” the most. Although it played into th...

Week 13 Review: Home Stretch

Hi there! I don't know about anyone else in this class but I am busting my butt to finish these assignments up so I can get an A in the class. Staying in the holiday spirit, I am so thankful for the extra week (Week 15). Because of it, I don't have to cram a bunch of extra credit assignments into next week, but instead can work on mostly standard assignments. I also caught a previous assignment that I did, but didn't do the declaration for so that was a nice treat to start this week off with. I took the time to read through the announcements for the last seven days, and that has thankfully helped me understand how class is working over the next couple weeks and what finishing up looks like for me. As I was looking through said announcements, I was completely distracted by the blurb about St. Catherine. My full name is Catherine and I come from a Catholic family, but I had never heard of her in detail. So I spent quite a while reading about her on Wikipedia and found out t...