Skip to main content

Favorite Story Books from the Stacks




Today I want to tell you all about some other blogs that I found inspiring recently. The first blog is “The Witches of Oz” this one drew my attention because the Wizard of Oz was one of my favorite movies as a child and I love tales that put a spin on familiar stories. I think that doing a similar “spin off” approach might be a fun direction to take my own project in. As I looked through the bog the next thing that drew my attention was the beautiful layout. The dark green background added nice color without being overwhelming. The lightened picture used for the header of the introduction was also a really great touch and might be an interesting thing to incorporate into one of my blog posts.

The next blog that caught my attention was the “OTHER” blog. Having read quite a few fairy-tales, I thought this blog was likely about changelings or fairies and was excited to see how this was incorporated into a blog. The intro of this blog included information on how the ideas behind the blog and also references where parts of their story came from in the first chapter. I think I will include this in my blog because it seems more research oriented. I also really enjoyed that the blog text was broken up similar to the way it would be in a novel. That made the reading easy and flow well.

The last blog I want to tell you about is the “ChoosingParadise” blog. While looking through the blogs this one stood out because it wasn’t about your average fairytales. This blog is about artificial intelligence and robotics which I find interesting especially as we approach better and better automation in real life. I may consider writing about something out of the normal range of fairy-tales in my own blog. The photo at the start of this post also comes from this blog and works well in contrast with the mechanical subject matter. 

Photo Credits: "Paradise Garden" by Aramissabekyan on Wikipedia Commons





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Hello!  My name is Cat and although this will be a blog about mythology and folklore, today I want to tell you all a little bit about myself and my summer. So, to start off I am a civil engineering student here at the University of Oklahoma. I will be graduating in December, but I will be staying on for another year to complete my master’s degree, also in civil engineering but with a focus on structural engineering. Civil engineering includes the design of buildings, infrastructure, water supply systems, waste water treatment systems, and traffic control systems to name a few.  Over this summer I had the opportunity to work as an intern for a civil engineering company and learned a lot from the experience. I learned to design pump stations, outline drainage areas, how to do the runoff calculations for inlets, culverts and drainage ditches, and a bunch of stuff about low impact development, but most importantly I learned that I don’t like doing any of those things....

Reading Notes: Japanese Mythology, Part B

Hi there!  Previously I had read the first half of the Japanese Mythology Unit. I liked the stories and was interested to see how Yamato’s adventures turned out. So, for this reading I decided to finish up the unit.   This time though, I was not as fond of Yamato’s stories as I was of the other stories in the unit. Yamato treated his poor wife Tacibana so badly. It really made me sad even though it made for a good story. I wish that at least in the end Tacibana would have just abandoned Yamato, but instead she sacrificed herself for him. Like I have said in many other posts, I feel like women are just really getting the short end of the stick in so many of these stories. The few instances were women don’t get taken advantage of it seems like they are generally portrayed as mean, evil, or nasty in some way. What a horrible dichotomy. Evil or victim. Of the other stories I read for this unit I enjoyed “The Jewel of Heart’s Desire” the most. Although it played into th...

Week 13 Review: Home Stretch

Hi there! I don't know about anyone else in this class but I am busting my butt to finish these assignments up so I can get an A in the class. Staying in the holiday spirit, I am so thankful for the extra week (Week 15). Because of it, I don't have to cram a bunch of extra credit assignments into next week, but instead can work on mostly standard assignments. I also caught a previous assignment that I did, but didn't do the declaration for so that was a nice treat to start this week off with. I took the time to read through the announcements for the last seven days, and that has thankfully helped me understand how class is working over the next couple weeks and what finishing up looks like for me. As I was looking through said announcements, I was completely distracted by the blurb about St. Catherine. My full name is Catherine and I come from a Catholic family, but I had never heard of her in detail. So I spent quite a while reading about her on Wikipedia and found out t...