Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Lang Unit II, Another Cat!


Today I chose to read the second Lang unit. I took notes over "The Cottager and his Cat" from because I enjoyed "Puss in Boots" so much from the first unit. I wondered if it wouldn't be a similar story and it turned out to be true! This is two stories now that I have read in which cats bring the character great luck, and to me that just reinforces my love of them. So here are my notes.


  • Characters: Rich old man, his wife, his son, the king, and many hut inhabitants 
  • Setting: tumble down cottage not fit for pigs, the forest, other huts, the Great Hall of the Palace
Plot

  • The old man was rich even though they lived in a hut 
  • He got ill one day and died 
  • In a dream, a man appeared to the son telling him half the the father's gold was ill gotten so he should give it back to the poor and throw the rest into the sea, keeping only what floats
  • When he did this, six shillings floated up wrapped in paper
  • He worked in his garden with his mother for the next few weeks but then she died too
  • He was so sad that he wandered the forest until he was very hungry when he came upon a hut
  • He knocked, asked for milk, and was invited in and given lodging 
  • European Wild Cat
  • By the fire sat a grey animal that wasn't very big with large bright eyes that was "singing"
  • He asked what kind of animal it was and the others in the hut told him that is was a cat
  • He asked if they would part with it, and they did for the six shillings he had 
  • The next day he kept walking until he came to another hut where he knocked, asked for a place to rest, told them he had no money, and was given a place to sleep
  • Those there marveled at his cat and told him to go a see the king for counsel
  • The next day he went to the king who was in the great hall eating with his court
  • When the boy came in he found that there were rats all over the hall, but didn't know what they were
  • Suddenly the cat zipped around and killed all the rats in the hall 
  • The king was so grateful  that he offered the young man marriage to one of his daughters or the seat of prime minister 
I included a photo of a grey domestic cat at the top of this story because that is the kind of cat that I imagined the story was about, but while I was looking for pictures I found an article about the European Wild Cat which inhabits large portions of Europe. Considering the son didn't know what a cat was, I can imagine that this story originated from a time just as cats were beginning to be domesticated so it isn't much of a stretch to guess that the cat in the story is more similar to the European Wild Cat than what we think of as cats. This story would make a great basis for a story about the origins of domesticated cats, and I would love to write that this week for a final story. 






Bibliography 

The Crimson Fairy Book by Andrew Lang
European Wild Cat Photo by Lviatour [CC BY-SA 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], from Wikimedia Commons
Beautiful Grey Cat Photo by ~Pawsitive~Candie_N via Flickr

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Hello!  My name is Cat and although this will be a blog about mythology and folklore, today I want to tell you all a little bit about myself and my summer. So, to start off I am a civil engineering student here at the University of Oklahoma. I will be graduating in December, but I will be staying on for another year to complete my master’s degree, also in civil engineering but with a focus on structural engineering. Civil engineering includes the design of buildings, infrastructure, water supply systems, waste water treatment systems, and traffic control systems to name a few.  Over this summer I had the opportunity to work as an intern for a civil engineering company and learned a lot from the experience. I learned to design pump stations, outline drainage areas, how to do the runoff calculations for inlets, culverts and drainage ditches, and a bunch of stuff about low impact development, but most importantly I learned that I don’t like doing any of those things.  Admi

Famous Last Words: Migraines

Hey there! As you may have guessed already because this is an extra credit post, I fell behind last week. This time partially due to procrastination and partially due to a migraine. It was great. Let me tell you about it.  I had been feeling really great all week, getting my work done, not too stressed, and like usual I was planning to do the three weekend assignments on Sunday. Yes, I know I shouldn't wait until the last day to do them. Yes, I know this whole thing could have been avoided by doing them early, but hey, hind sight, spilled milk, you know the drill. Plus, I didn't have any other homework due on Monday, unlike usual, so I thought I would have plenty of time. (Here is where the ominous music should play.) However, that afternoon I started having a migraine attack. This quickly spiraled into me sitting and staring at the wall until it stopped later that night. Sadly, I didn't get much work done, as you can imagine.  Luckily I am back on my feet today, alth

Week 2 Story: The Stone Woman

Author's note: I wrote this story after reading Pygmalion and wanting to develop on the statues story. So this story gives the statue a back story, and rewrites some of the original tale, in the form of my character named Ivory. I hope you enjoy it.  In ancient Greece there was a woman named Ivory that had grown up in a village far from any city. Her family farmed the land around their home and raised livestock. When she was older, her father would take her with him on the long journey to the city when it was time to sell their crops at the market. One year at the market, Ivory met the most beautiful man she had ever seen. This man’s name was Deveron, and he was known widely for his charm and beauty. Soon after they met, Deveron and Ivory fell in love and were married.  They built a small home on the land Ivory’s family owned and continued to farm the land and live good lives that seemed to be blessed by the gods. They were so happy in their love and in their life that th